AT-TE (sand) blues

I'm going to start with an admission and a grumble... because I was away at the weekend playing Lego with my 7-yr old niece for the first time since August last year, I didn't log on to the Lego website until lunchtime on Saturday.  By which time, the Tatooine homestead freebie was already out of stock!  WTF... 

OK, so I was slow off the mark but surely Lego should make sure they have enough to last more than 10% of the way through their promotion period.  10%!!!  Anyway, I've got my R2 order in (already despatched) and have reluctantly stumped up for the homestead on Ebay.  

Back home now and today's build was the last of the AT-TEs - the 2003 version (4482).  This was another Ebay purchase but came in pretty good condition and was nearly correct/complete.  It's also full of some pretty interesting bricks - no less than 11 of them go for more than £5 each on Bricklink and the estimated "new" cost of a rebuild is a whopping £742.  A surprising amount of sand blue too.  Makes my purchase a bargain.

The build took me about an hour - not too complicated but I had sorted the pieces well.  Nothing too unusual about it.  Here's the finished article:

It's got some reasonable playability: the turrets all move, the legs can be positioned, top comes off and there is a clone seat and speeder inside and finally the cabin opens:


So, how does it compare to the other versions?  Obviously, you have to bear in mind that this is from 2003 and on that basis, it's a great set for its time.  It actually stands up really well to the 2008 version (7675) that I built a few weeks back

They are pretty much exactly the same length but th newer sets are slightly taller.  The other big improvement on the more recent sets is to include a dish to cap off each foot - they do look a bit odd on this set.  However, in all other respects, it's pretty hard to call the original all that inferior.  I couldn't get the 2013 version down from the shelf easily for a comparison but I equally don't think it's a serious step up.  I'm therefore going to call it for the original version.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun