AT-TE take 2

I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning up two recent ebay purchases, both of which turned up dusty and with a number of yellowed bricks. Today, I built the first of them: the 2nd version of the AT-TE from 2008 (7675).  I already have the 2013 version (75019) but not the original 2003 (4482), which remains one of the 20 or so sets I still need to source before I complete my Lego Star Wars collection.

According to the interweb, the AT-TE is an All-terrain tactical enforcer, used during the clone wars with a heavy duty mass driver cannon on top.  I remember them from Attack of the Clones which isn't my favourite of the Star Wars films, containing as it does the least plausible romance ever to grace a cinema screen and an Anakin which is even more annoying than the one from The Phantom Menace if that's possible.  

Well, on to the Lego... this is a medium sized set in terms of number of bricks but works out quite large in volume due to the quite empty interior.  There is a fair amount of playability in here with the moveable lasers and cannon, various bits that open up and the extra droid fighter.  However, none of the minifigs are unique to this set which is a bit of a disappointment.  The Captain Rex figure is pretty rare and expensive, I suppose (for no apparent reason, this seems to go for £50+). 

It's also not really significantly different to either of the other two versions - I've not got the 2013 version down off the top shelf it's on because it's buried behind quite a few other sets but my suspicion is that it's basically identical in terms of shape with only subtle differences in decor.  I think the 2003 version is in the same direct lineage, somewhat detracting from the historical value of this.  

My perception is also somewhat coloured by the quality of the set, I'm sure... or specifically the sun colouring on some of the bricks.  As I said above, I've switched out quite a few of the worst where I could from my collection or a cheap(ish) buy on bricklink but that still leaves the expensive dishes and 6x8 shallow slopes with lots of yellowing.  

Overall, probably only 5 out of 10 for this one.

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun