Deconstruction vs travel

It's been a busy few months - since I last managed to post, I've spend 2 weeks in Singapore, 2 days in KL and 10 days in HK, as well as going to Wales (a week), Scotland, Wales again, Stratford-upon-Avon and Paris for long weekends.  I worked out that by the end of June, I'll have spent 90 days out of 181 in the first half of the year away from home.  With nights out and time spent with the (very understanding) wife, that's not left much time for Lego.  Lockdown wasn't fun but it did leave lots of time for hobbies!

So, here's a bit of a round up on the deconstruction I've managed to do.  My tracker says I'm now 72% of the way through my collection, though I've got stacks of boxes which are still waiting to be built up, so I'm not going to run short of things to build for a while.

First up is the Child, aka baby Yoda (75318).  This is an ok display set but a bit dull to build (like the more recent Yoda, there is too much plate-work filling out the cloak).

Next up was the series of cannons:

  • The Umbaran MHC (75013)
  • The Republic AV7 anti-vehicle cannon (75045)
  • Battle for Geonosis (7869)

The AV7 is pretty hard to get your hands on these days due to the figs and indeed my copy only has one of the stormtroopers which are, I think, unique to this set.  However, this is the best of the 3.




Next is the Fury Class Sith Interception (9500).  I have mixed feelings about this one: good minifigs and a nice design but my copy came with a fair bit of sun damage (I've been replacing the parts since).

The Jedi Scout Fighter (75051), which again has some nice lines but is relatively unremarkable, in my view:

Next up is the Imperial AT-Hauler (75219) which is the opposite: this is a set I really like with great use of technic panels and a pretty accurate design that looks good from all angles.  I also like the way it pairs up with the conveyex transport.

I also deconstructed the UCS A-wing (75275) and Obi-wan's jedi starfighter (10215).  The former is pretty accurate and has a lot of SNOT techniques.  However, it came at a point when Lego was having some real issues with colour control and I've got multiple shades of dark red in there, which is surprisingly irksome.  This set also got super-dusty for some reason!  I managed to pick up a brand new copy of 10215 from ebay for a very reasonable price and, while it is one of the simplest UCS sets, is actually quite effective.


Next up is the Bounty Hunter Gunship (7930).  A really nice set which is pretty unique, it's not far off my top 10.  I probably ought to do a full review of this one!


Wookie stuff is next: the catamaran (7260) from way back in 2005 and the gunship (75084) from 2015.  Both sets are really nice in their way: the catamaran has a very nice design and, to the modern eye, lots of quite rare bricks.  The gunship is another unique set (I'm discounting the microfighter) and, despite its over-reliance on stickers, is really nice to look at.  




The Jedi Defender-class cruiser (75025) is next up.  A nice set this one with lots of playability and good looks.  



In 2009/2010, two "midi" sized sets were released.  I prefer the Falcon (it's in my top 10 non-UCS sets) but the ISD (8099) is a compact but dense set which looks pretty good too.  This one is a rebuild from parts - I never bothered to buy it complete.

And finally for this post, the Resistance Bomber (75188) which is another great set, combining great looks (which are surprisingly robust) with cool play features.  I particularly like the action on the bomb chute.



Lots more sets to go!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun