Technic hypercars

Many years ago, I did an engineering undergraduate degree and my closest contemporary through all the different options was Matt.  We share a love of science fiction and, as adults, a rediscovered passion for Lego.  He claims that he's trying to educate his daughters but I doubt that they share his passion for the biggest and most complex technic sets.  I pretend no such excuses and freely admit that this is my own mid-life crisis aversion tactic.

A while back, Matt whatsapped me a photo of the lime green Lambo Sian (42115) and told me that it was by far the better build when compared to the Chiron.  I'm somewhat behind the times on these sets - I typically wait until I can get a deal which is at least 35% off but eventually, I got the Sian back before Christmas.  It was my plan to make it over the Christmas vacation but in the end we did much less travelling than expected and once I was home, I settled into deconstruction.  A long weekend away in late Jan therefore became the opportunity to build and I duely did so over 3 nights.  


The build is indeed great fun - while it's been several years since I built the Chiron, I do think this felt more fun and there is some really clever engineering going on in there.  I love the flip up doors (the Chiron doors always felt a let down) and the fact that you can actually see all the engine detail in here by lifting off the cowling is a plus.  

Lego also seem to have sorted the many shades of lime issue that plagued early versions (another plus for waiting!).  

How does it compare to the other two technic super/hypercars then?

It's pretty much exactly the same size as the orange Porsche and slightly longer than the Chiron.  As noted, the build is probably the most fun of the three and amazingly, I made no mistakes that led me to lots of unpicking.  However, in aggregate, I think the Chiron is the most beautiful of the three with its two-tone colouring and sweeping lines.  

I'd never say no to a Lambo but I'd take a Bugatti every time. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun