V-wing

The V-wing remains one of the most mysterious of the Star Wars craft for me.  It apparently turns up in the Revenge of the Sith but I struggle to remember it in that film.  That said, compared to the original trilogy which I must have seen at least 30 times each, I've probably only watched this one 3 or 4 times and not with any attention for some years.

The internet tells me that it's actually an "Alpha 3 Nimbus V-wing starfighter" made by Kuat.  No hyperdrive and an unpressurised cockpit but highly manouverable.  

Lego has made three versions over the years: way back in 2006 came set 6205 with just 118 parts.  I do not think that this is Lego's finest hour: like some of the early Sith Infiltrators, the front section feels very flat.  The radiator wings also don't rotate which is a nice feature on the later versions. The fact that you only get a droid head also feels cheap to me.  

Next up in 2011 was set 7915, with 139 parts.  A slight improvement in that it feels a bit more streamlined at the front but still not a set I would rate much more than 6 out of 10.  I think this one is in Empire livery.  

Finally, 2014 gave us set 75039 which is the most complex of the sets and back into clone livery.  This one is a definite improvement on the earlier versions with much better streamlining.  That said, I'm still not a fan - to be very honest, I don't feel the love for this starfighter in any of its incarnations.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun