Magazine "gifts"

So, a week on and I've now finished deconstructing and sorting my battle packs.  Work has also kept me busy in the evenings so I've had less chance for legoing.  But... on to the next sub-theme: the magazine gifts.  I am not even going to bother trying to count or describe all of these so this "review" is going to be thematic.

Back in 2015, Lego launched another sales avenue with comics aimed squarely at the sub-10 market.  Each magazine comes with one or more "gifts" though really you're paying for the Lego and the magazine is secondary.  This is clear as the price varies from month to month, depending on how many "gifts" you get and their complexity.  I've got several years' worth of magazines but I can't say I've actually read any of them.  

I've only ever made up the "gifts" that are ships or scenes - the minifigs have all stayed safely in their polybags to maintain value.  As a result, what you see below are photos of around 2/3rds of the sets.  

Back in 2015, they started off pretty simple with no more than 21 parts that year.  After that, they got steadily more complex with the most number of bricks being 53 (the very latest 912175 AT-ST Raider).  As a rule, while I don't think any of these sets are going to make it into my top 10, there are some nice sets and the more recent ones make liberal use of the latest parts (e.g. the Sith Infiltrator with its 3x3 dome). 

If I have a least favourite, it's probably the Falcon (911607 from 2016).  I like Acklay (911612) and both of the A wings (911724 and 912060).

Sadly, the very first one is missing - it's tiny and I reckon its fallen down the back of my Ikea shelves.  I'll find or replace it eventually!  

Some photos by year...






And 2021:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun