Nearly an AT-AT

It's not quite an AT-AT but the First Order Heavy Assault Walker (75189) is definitely the progeny of the classic Empire 4-legged beast.  This is my 3rd walker in just over a fortnight and I've got two more ready and waiting to be built so I'm getting a real insight on the similarities and differences.  

This one is clearly a step apart for several reason - firstly it's mainly DBG rather than the classic LBG and secondly it features the front legs that look like an angry gorilla posturing.  It also features a 6-shooter gun on the top which can be swivelled up and down.  There are also more bricks in this one than just about any of the other walkers and you feel that level of detail as you build.  

However, ultimately, I'm not a huge fan of this set.  Partly this stems from my views of the film - The Last Jedi is definitely the weakest of the three most recent films.  It's derivative of the Empire Strikes Back with the Jedi training, the perfectly matched speeds of the rebel fleet and First Order fleet is unrealistic as is the fact that Finn and just pop off for a side adventure with no issues.  And finally when the rebels are cornered on a planet, rather than just bombarding them from orbit, the FO sends down a squadron of these beasts to slowly walk towards the rebel base.  Hmm.

I'm also a bit jaded from having had to select 289 unique parts in order to build it.  I'm going to do an analysis but I'm pretty sure that the complexity of Lego sets has increased significantly in recent years.

The minifigs are also, ultimately, a bit disappointing with only two being unique and these are basically just slight variants on other common minifigs.  

So, all in all, I reckon this one only gets 6 out of 10.  I may revise that when I'm a bit less jaded!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun