Mini AT-AT

I spent most of this evening sorting out all the odd bricks I've purchased over recent weeks but couldn't resist a quick build.  And, given the AT-AT theme I've got going on at the moment, I thought I'd build the brand new set which arrived today from Lego: the AT-AT vs Tauntaun microfighters (75298).

This is newly released since I last looked on the Lego website and indeed not all the Lego websites have been updated.  The photo which will appear on Rebrickable for Hoth Luke should be mine.


So, what do I think?  I'm not a massive fan of the microfighters - I find them a bit cartoonish - but they fill a niche of cheap little sets which appeal to children and are easy to build.  I gave one to an adult friend who was having a bit of a hard time in a care package last year and she loved it, so clearly there's an audience.  However, the amount of page turning you have to do is a bit frustrating as an adult builder - I reckon this uses up about 25% of the build time!

Of these two, I think there have been better AT-ATs; in particular, I find the feet very ungainly, though the printed cockpit head is nice.  The tauntaun is better - a nicely balanced amount of detail and some rare parts for the horns.  I discovered a promo "Han Solo on Tauntaun" that was apparently released as a limited edition in Legoland California and am buying up the necessary parts for that so will compare and contrast when that's done.  

Overall, 6 out of 10, which may be harsh...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun