Entering the helmet collection

I'm still working through 10179 and felt like a Sunday break.  It's not as if there's a lot to do - normally, we'd be in the Midlands this weekend for my mother's birthday but lockdown life is pretty limited.  So, I thought I'd build my latest delivery - after being out of stock almost everywhere for weeks, I found the Tie Fighter Pilot Helmet (75274) available from Argos for delivery.  18 hours later (Argos is doing a good job of competing with Uncle Jeff!), it's on my doorstep and another 24 hours later than that, I've now constructed it.

 

This is my first foray into the Helmet collection which Lego started up last year.  It's clear that this is aimed at adult collectors (the box labels it 18+) and it is somewhat fiddly in places (the breathing tubes).  I can't imagine my 8yr old nephew building this one yet!  It also certainly looks pretty good once finished - there is plenty of detail and dimension to it.  It also contained a part which was new to me (always exciting): the small train wheel.  Also a couple of parts in colours I didn't previously have.

However, I was left oddly dissatisfied at the end of the build.  Firstly, this felt a bit like a giant Brickheadz model - certainly the inner structure of a square box comprising bricks with studs on their sides felt very familiar.  It also had shades of the Yoda model from 2019 that was really tedious to build thanks to all the shaping done with small plates.  I'd have preferred a SNOT design to this, if I'm honest - I think that would have looked way cooler.  

A couple of other thoughts: as I opened the box, out dropped a tiny sticker sheet - for a premium set like this, they should have invested in fully printed parts.  Absolutely no need for stickers, especially just for a couple of small tiles.  Also, while the instruction book was nice and heavy, this meant that it reduced to around 3 pieces per step, which was really simple for an 18+ set.  I was also surprised to note that they used highlighting throughout to indicate the new bricks in each step!  

A couple more photos:


Just as a comparison, I recently built most of the Boushh helmet MOC from AlboLego.  I miscalculated the number of 3x2 RB slopes I had and am still waiting for a couple of spares from Bricklink, along with a couple of other bricks that I am missing.  However, you get the idea... I have to say that I think this set is better designed than the Tie Fighter Helmet! 

I'll post a couple more photos once I've finished it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun