Droid Tie?

As I was looking to start trying complete my collection, I realised that a couple of sets reused models from previous sets.  I've currently parked any ambition to buy the Imperial Inspection as I've already got the shuttle and I'm really not sure I can bring myself to buy something just for the (rare) minifigs.  Another example is the "UCS" set 10131 - Tie Fighter Collection.  

This is a classic example of something which Lego should never have labelled UCS (along with Assault on Hoth) as it just consists of three standard minifig scale models, one of which is included twice!  And the classic Tie Fighter was released as a standalone set (7263) which did at least come with a light-up Darth Vader!  

I was about to write that the Darth Vader Tie Fighter that came with the set was also a duplicate of the set which was previously released no less than three times (7150, 7152 and 7262) but this would be wrong.  The earlier sets were released in the pre-2003 colours and my copy is from 7150.  

This was updated somewhat in the Tie Collection but the basic structure of the model is very close to the previous version.  Having spotted the differences, I'm now pondering whether I need to rebuild this!

Anyway, on to today's build... the one model in 10131 which is unique is the Tie Droid Fighter.  This comes from the Legends part of Star Wars so is non-canon in my book, but the set looked interesting and needed to be built.  Apparently, the pilot is replaced by a droid and the red laser cannons with green ones.  The wings are also distinctively rectangular.  




This has to be the second-weirdest Tie after the frankly ludicrous Tie Crawler.  

Again, I've build this from spare parts and Bricklink buys and it took some months to get all the parts (the blue spoked dishes took the longest to source and to be fair I made a subtle part replacement on the transparent 1 x 4 x 1 panel (see first photo).  

It's a quick build - less than 30 mins and really not that challenging compared to last night's Nebulon B.  It goes to show how far Lego has come along in 16 years. That said, it's a nice little model and a fine addition to the collection.  Just not a UCS.   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars M&M Mosaic

Lego Colours

Han Solo on his Tauntaun